Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Birthday Post

We just got back from my birthday dinner at Hu Hot (yummy...I cannot describe how much I love that place!) and while there came up with an excellent marketing idea for them.  The Hu Hot wristband.  Make a plate, eat, go out and run errands, come back and make another plate...LOL Their food is so delish but so filling!  Then we went to the bookstore (my favorite place!) where I found a couple of books on clearance!  Yay!!  Now back home and I am about to fall asleep (lame!) but thats ok, more fun to come this weekend when a friend and I head to the George and Reba concert on Friday.  Wahoo!!  Hope everyone is having a happy Wednesday and a special birthday shout out to my friend Lou who also shares this wonderful birthday!  Happy Birthday buddy!!


Ok, I do just have to share one story- my minor in college is in organizational leadership which means I have a lot of leadership and development classes.  For one particular class we have to discuss a book called Life Entrepreneurs (I would not recommend this book, btw, I was not a fan!).  We got put into groups and discussed much the way a forum or chat board works.  So I post my overall review of the book as 80/20 and state that it is hard for me to find inspiration from people whose lives and circumstances I would already consider "extraordinary" such as the guy who started Clif bar and went on from their to redefine the way that the company was run.  I mean, these are not ordinary people overcoming things, these are CEO's, rich people and the like coming up with good, successful entrepreneurs and how the rest of us can apply that to our lives.  I did not directly attack anyone or anything in the book.  Here is the response from a group member...you tell me, is this a little much? 


My personal thoughts are that you have to make time to pursue what you want.  whether that is making time for the gym, for quiet time, for socializing, I feel that you have plenty of time you have to prioritize.  I have a 30 hr per week job, an 11 year old, a husband and I find that if I plan things I can get what I need in to my routine.  I believe it would be the same with this books message.  Honesly I would start slow, maybe take a leave of abscense from work and see where I end up.
My husband works full time, but then comes home and is on the computer or lazing around and I understand he needs downtime, but not 5 hours of it.  I personally tell him to relax and then make him a plan to do something with me for 30 minutes or plan to go to the gym after work.  Honestly I think people make excuses.
If your first thought after reading this is how poor the grammar and spelling are for a 600 level college class, fear not- I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE!  I don't understand how most people made it to college in the first place.  Anyways, my response to this (officially) was nothing but unofficially?  Ummm...I work 50+ hours a week, take 15 credit hours of upper level IT classes AND run a freakin house hold.  Please, come here for a week and tell me that you see where I can take time off??  Oh and taking a leave of absence from work?  NOT POSSIBLE- that was kind of my whole point.  In the real world, that isn't usually an option!
Argh!  So there is my vent for the night!!

4 comments:

  1. First - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I think that's the fourth time today I've wished you happy birthday, but what can I say, it's a special day for you (and the Lou!). I'm quickly turning into a Jen Sheeple.

    Second, I love your rants. And about that little essay - rant on! I love how it turned into a complaint about her husband being lazy. I bet he'd love to take a leave of absence :-)

    One more time...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry i'm late (i've been sick & didnt get on the computer yesterday) but
    HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY birthday!!!!!!! hope it was wonderful girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Happy Birthday!

    Happy ICLW, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy ICLW. I am February 18. happy belated birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete