Saturday, January 2, 2010

The dreaded 2ww

I will have to say, the worst part about trying to conceive is what's called the "two week wait" (or 2ww). There is nothing like this time period which is the 14 days after you ovulate up to the day your period is due (at which point you are likely to tell if you are pregnant or not). For those of you who haven't been through this, think of the anticipation you felt leading up to Christmas...but at the end, you may or may not get a "special present" (ha ha...) It doesn't matter how you psych yourself out, inevitably you will find yourself on google late at night looking up every mystery symptom to see if it is a sign of pregnancy. Seriously, I could probably tell you for every DPO (day past ovulation) what pregnancy symptoms you are most likely to experience. I wish that I could convey how crazy it is because as I told my very supportive husband, I wish that I did not know that a sore throat at 7-9dpo is a sign of pregnancy. I wish that I did not know that cramps in your ovaries or spotting or any of these other things are just as likely a sign of your monthly visitor, but somehow during that week you are convinced it is an impending pregnancy. Seriously, last month I told myself that there was NO WAY that I was going through that again. I was great, I wasn't even tracking my dpo when all of the sudden I woke up with a sore throat and sick to my stomach. As I counted the days, I realized I was at exactly 9dpo. As I tried to tell myself that I was just coming down with the flu, I needed to relax, there is something in your mind that whispers, no, you could be pregnant and you can't help but start looking for other signs and symptoms. I have to say, I would take 20 ultrasounds (they don't call infertility "the stirrup queen" for no reason) to not have to go through this wait. I hate that my body does something different each cycle and I can never count on the same feelings or symptoms as last month.
So, my friends, if you are or will be TTC, I wish you luck and know that the crazy-late-night-google happens to the best of us :) I caution you to not get too caught up in the chat boards and to take some of the stories with a grain of salt. Case in point, there is one particular posting that made me literally LOL (laugh out loud) where a girl posted her "positive" pee stick tests starting at 7dpo up through 14dpo. Seriously? What point do you get to where you post pee sticks on the internet for the world to see the change from day to day?? And how lame is it if you actually look at this? I was fascinated and all of the sudden the commercial that says "1 in 4 women can mis-read a traditional pregnancy test" made a whoooole lot more sense to me because I tell ya, I would not have figured positive on ANY of those!! Anyways, it is about to be that time for us, (I say us, though Jerad has NO idea that I frantically google all of this...there are limits to his love, I am sure!) so wish me luck and I wish you all the same!

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl. Good luck with TTC. I know far to well the infertility and 2ww. It sucks for sure. You can read any sign as a pregnany symptom.

    I am here for you. You can always email me at crabincabin@yahoo.com if you would like to talk.

    Hugs
    Autumn

    ReplyDelete